April 12, 2007

Neurology Update

Well, here's the newest update on my medical saga....

The good news is that I have not had as many bad cardiac days which is great...I did however have 2 doozy episodes in the last week and a half though...one of which lasted for 4 hours (and it was night time in bed). I still get COMPLETELY worn out though..and have been having to nap almost daily (which is TOTALLY NOT like me at all), and these aren't quick little power naps either...I'm talking like 2-3 hour naps...and sometimes I have to nap more than once a day.

The not being able to drive thing though is still the main issue!!! It's been 9 weeks!!!!! Arrrrggggg!!!!!!!!!! I am still getting vertigo like symptoms while in motion...whether driving or in the passenger seat (though not to the same degree), even on the treadmill a couple of times last week...I almost went down a couple of times from the wooziness.

Instead of Stu taking me, I actually drove to do a lia sophia show last night that was only 10 minutes away, because I was bound and determined to do it...probably not a great idea. I am supposed to fly down to Florida for 10 days next Tuesday with the boys...but as of today, I have unfortunately postponed my trip...

There are however 2 other factors that "COULD" come into play...Last week, I just found out that both of my ears were waxed up, so the Dr. gave me Debrox drops to put in for a week. Well, immediately both ears COMPLETELY clogged up, and everything sounded muffled for a whole week. Tuesday I couldn't take it anymore, so they had me come in...the Dr. said...you're completely clogged all right, so he irrigated both ears and voila I can hear!! But now that meant he could see inside...Turns out I have a nasty double ear infection. They gave me antibiotic and steroid drops to put in for a week. I am on day 2 of that.

Also while at the Neurologist yesterday, he found in my blood work that my B12 levels are REALLY low...which can contribute to dizziness, tiredness, and some of the other visual symptoms I have been having. He started me on mega doses of B12 today. So between the double ear infection and the B12 issue...it COULD be possible that if we fix those issues, my Vertigo like symptoms, COULD go away...and maybe the exhaustion too. Keep your fingers crossed..

The Neurologist said that the MRI did not show signs of a full stroke. But it wouldn't necessarily still show the signs of a TIA (small stroke), since it was back at the beginning of February. So he is still pretty convinced that I probably did have one of those. He also found a BIG Pineal Cyst in the very center of my brain..... But it's not cutting off any blood flow, and shouldn't be causing my symptoms. So now, I have to get regularly scheduled MRIs every couple of months just to make sure it doesn't grow. He didn't seem too concerned. He said they are not common, but not uncommon (are seen 1-4% of the time). They are non-cancerous, but if they grow or cause issues, need to be removed.

He still wants me to have the TEE test performed with the Cardiologist, so I am scheduled to go in for that test on April 23rd. I have to go to Stony Brook Hospital for that and be completely put out. They fish a tube with a camera on the end of it down my throat and down into the heart area to take pictures. It should only take about 4 hours or so in total, and I get to go home the same afternoon with no restrictions. He also suggested I see a Neurological Ophthalmologist...

I am supposed to go back to the Orthopedic Specialist this week for a follow up for my back issues, but I cancelled the appt. I was supposed to be doing PT 3 times a week, but haven't even been to the first session yet, because of dealing with everything else...ONE THING AT A TIME!!!

I am also scheduled to go back to the hospital again on June 1st to have surgery, where the doctors will be removing a large mass from my abdomen. Most likely due to Endometriosis. I will be out of commission for about 2 weeks, and Mom will be flying in to take care of the boys. After that...we should FINALLY be able to go on our long awaited trip down to Florida, sometime around mid-June.

Gee...aren't you glad you checked in today! I am doing the best that I can...and right now that's all I can do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendi,

I am so sorry that you continue to go through all of this. I will keep praying for your recovery.

Adriana

Maryann said...

Wendi

(((((HUGS))))

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. It's so much for one person to go through. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Maryann

Kim said...

Oh Wendi, I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this. You amaze me with your positive attitude though!!!
HUGS

Anonymous said...

Wendi -

You are very brave to be going through all of this. I am not sure if I could!! My grandmother had a tumor removed from her brain about 7 years ago. Sounds similar to yours - benign, but had to be removed. We thought she might have had a stroke because she was having symptoms as if she did. But, turns out she had the tumor and she must have had it for a long time. I am happy to say that is in her 80's now and doing just fine!! So, she actually had it removed in her 70's.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Sincerely,
Julie Strobel

Anonymous said...

I hope you improve! Your kids are precious!

I am located in Indiana. I am a somewhat healthy (I have had migraines and scoliosis for years), 35 year old female, teacher and mother of two.

I recently demanded an MRI due to a constant headache in the back, left side of my head, lack of sleep, forgetfulness and a weird sensation in my head that I can’t explain. I have had sleep problems for years and have been on numerous medications for lack of sleep and seasonal depression.

According to my MRI, I have a 1 cm pineal / arachnoid cyst in my pineal gland. I have read the research. My family doctor and neurologist say that it is no big deal. My neurologist said I need injections in my head and I need to go to a sleep study. She says that this will make my migraines and the rest “head throbbing” go away.

Due to what I’ve recently read, I’m a bit concerned. I realize that I was born with cyst, but I more recently have had symptoms. My doctors say that my problems are not related to the cyst. I would like to believe this!!! How do they know that they are not?

There are not many postings on an pineal / arachnoid cyst in the pineal gland. They say it is benign, but how do they know without a biopsy? I haven’t read success stories for those who have had treatment or those who have waited. Are there any success stories? I’ve also read that after having one surgery, that the surgeries will continue.

I would like to remain in contact with you. Maybe if we find treatment or a good doctor, we could pass it on. There are many others out there with the same problem!!