Last night I was getting ready to go to bed (12:30am), when I heard Jackson coughing. By the time I got up the stairs, he was coughing uncontrollably and making gagging/wretching sounds. At first I thought he was dry-heaving, but no...he was gagging b/c he couldn't breath!!! His neck was sucking in, and his nostrils were flaring.
I rushed him downstairs and sat him up on the couch. Ran to get the nebulizer to give him a treatment. It didn't work, so I gave him a different med in the nebulizer...that didn't work either, and by this time his color was changing a bit...so I grabbed the oxygen. I tried one more med in the nebulizer (that's the third one for you keeping track at home)...this one thankfully started working. If it hadn't, off to Stony Brook we would have gone. I REALLY didn't want to go to the ER.
Finally after about an hour, he started to be able to breathe a little easier. It was about 1:45am by then. I was just going to put the nebulizer away when I heard Tristan upstairs, and he was in a coughing fit now too....UGGHH. I ran upstair with a fresh neb in hand, and gave him a treatment. It seemed to work pretty well.
I went back downstairs and decided to leave Jackson on the couch for the night, and I was going to stay down there with him. I sat up reading for a while, then at about 3:30am he needed 2 treatments again. I think it was like 5:30am before I actually got to sleep.
We had been at my Brother-in-law's house earlier that evening for dinner, and they are having their kitchen renovated. When I took the boys to the Dr. today, they said construction/drywall dust probably got into their lungs..b/c they aren't sick...just suffering from bad asthma symptoms. What a scary night!!! Hopefully tonight will be a better one. I gave them treatments before bedtime tonight, and so far so good. Time for me to hit the hay now too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Thank God you had all those meds and O2 in your house! That would scare the heck out of me! Hope both of them are breathing easier and you can get some much deserved zzz's.
OMG Wendi!!
I am so glad they are alright. You seemed to be so calm!
Here's hoping thats their last asthma attacks!
How scary! So glad the med's finally worked. I hope you're having better nights and some rest for all.
Post a Comment