October 19, 2006

Memories That Were

Jackson, Logan, and Tristan have been asked by The March of Dimes, to model in a fashion show on October 29th. In preparation for this show, I have been asked to submit some NICU photos of the boys that will be shown on a big screen behind them as they walk down the catwalk. Kind of like a before and after...this is what we used to look like with all the wires and such, and this is us now kind of thing. I have also been asked to submit a bio explaining the prematuraty hardships they endured early on.

Boy did writing this and going through old pictures bring back a FLOOD of memories!!! I thought I'd share what I submitted to the Director.

Jackson, Logan, and Tristan Mazer came into this world quite unexpectedly due to severe pre-eclampsia, at only 27 weeks 3 days gestation. They were delivered via emergency c-section one minute apart from each other, and were whisked away very quickly to the NICU by a team of at least 15 people. Jackson and Tristan both had initial APGAR scores of zero. All three boys were vented, and closely monitored. I had now entered a world that I never knew existed, called NICU….and felt like that by the time we left 4 ½ months later…that I had earned an honorary Masters Degree in Neonatology.

Each of the boys received Surfactant Therapy for their underdeveloped lungs, and antibiotics for any infection they may have had. All three boys went under the Bili Lights to reverse the jaundice that had set in. As the days went on, I came to find that Jackson (the smallest of the trio), had a Grade 4 IVH (brain bleed). This is the worst grade. I was also told that he would probably never walk, and that he would have CP (neither came true). They later included PVL (Periventricular Leukomalacia) to the diagnosis along with the bleed. All three boys had holes in their hearts that had not closed, called PDAs. They each received multiple rounds of the drug Endomethycin to try to close the hole. It worked after 2-3 rounds for Logan and Tristan, however not for Jackson. A Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgeon was brought in to do a PDA Ligation on him at just 3 weeks of age, and only 2 pounds. This surgery seemed to be a success.


The boys endured so much over their extended stays in the NICU…countless heel sticks, blood transfusions, pneumonia more than once, PIC lines, IV’s everywhere, including their scalps, hypertension, Caffeine therapy for A’s & B’s, ROP, BPD, Colitis, and too much more! It was a whole month before I was even able to hold Jackson for the very first time, and two months before Jackson got off the vent!!!!

My one goal was for the boys to all be co-bedded in an open crib together before they came home. Logan and Tristan went back and forth on and off CPAP-Nasal Canulas, and back again quite a few times, before they were finally able to go to open cribs. FINALLY Jackson got to join his brothers, although he was still on nasal canulas. Besides holding my babies for the first time, individually and then together…it was by far, my happiest NICU moment.

At this point Logan and Tristan would most likely be going home within a few days…but this was not to happen, because somehow Tristan got sick…REALLY sick. It was RSV, and four days later Jackson got it too. Back onto the vent and into isolation they went, and we almost lost both of them more than once. We still don’t know how Logan didn’t get it. Both boys were vented for about a month. It was literally like we were starting the WHOLE process over again. This time around, the conventional vent was not working. We were introduced to new things: the High Frequency Jet, the Oscillator, and Nitric Oxide. Fentanol, Adavan, and Morophine. Tristan was slowly improving, but Jackson was not.

The worst moment occurred when I received a phone call at 5:00am from the attending Neonatologist, who told me to come in ASAP. They weren’t sure that Jackson would make it for much longer. There was talk of ECHMO, but didn’t think that he was strong enough to survive the transport into NY City. A specialist was brought in, and did some very unconventional things with the vent settings…


Miraculously Jackson started slowly improving throughout the day, and he never turned back. A month and a half later he was FINALLY ready to go home with oxygen and monitors.

Logan came home after a 3 month stay in the NICU. Tristan came home after 4 months, and Jackson came home after 4 ½ months…and stayed on his oxygen and monitors for another 4 months.

Although we are still dealing with many residual lung and sensory issues three years later, I have never felt more blessed or more thankful in my entire life for anything. My three precious miracles are the most amazing gifts from GOD, whom I thank everyday! I am forever indebted to The March of Dimes and the Staff at Stony Brook for saving my truly amazing boys’ lives!


I can't wait to see the boys in their very first fashion show...You better believe there will be some pictures from this event!!!!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Wendi,
That was an amazing bio. I had no idea that you and the boys had gone through so much!!! They truly are miracles!!! Even though I know they are fine now the story brought me to tears.
I am so happy that they are healthy and thriving now. I am also proud to have such a strong woman as a friend!!!!

Laura said...

Wow Wendi! I would've never known that your boys were 27 weekers! They look so healthy and strong, they ARE true MIRACLES! I am blown away by this, you have been so blessed!

Maryann said...

Boy they've come a long way! Many congratulations to you Momma on such a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi,

What an incredible story. You have such a gift with words. The story of your boys' beginning brought me to tears. I've said this before, but God has great things planned for your boys!

Adriana